About Me

My photo
Kings Mountain, North Carolina, United States
"A mind lively and at ease" is a blog by a first-generation Russian-Ukrainian immigrant Maria K. (Maria Igorevna Kuroshchepova). An engineer by education, an analyst by trade, as well as a writer, photographer, artist and amateur model, Maria brings her talent for weaving an engaging narrative to stories of life, fashion and style advice, book and movie reviews, and common-sense and to-the-point essays on politics and economy.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Look book - modern Victorian

Today's outfit is an example of what I was talking about in my Hopeless Romantic article about incorporating old-fashioned elements into a contemporary wardrobe.

The jeans are my absolute favorites from Dress Barn. They have a bit of stretch in them, so they work equally well for my fat and skinny days. The boots are my Parisian steal. They are so comfy and so versatile - I am just completely in love with them.

Now, where did I get this sweater? I've had it at least three years. Ah, yes, Chadwicks of Boston - it was on clearance. It has lace and beads on it - how could I possibly pass that up?! The only problem with it is that it's dry-clean only. So, I do make a point to wear a cami under it (in this case a Newport News lacy ShapeFx) to keep it fresh as long as possible. Interestingly, it always looked better with jeans and sharp slacks than with skirts. Perhaps, it's because the sweater itself is so ultra-feminine that wearing a skirt with it is just overegging the pudding.

The earrings are a 2008 Christmas gift from a friend. They are a bit too casual for a full-on black tie look, but go well with just about anything else: casual, business, and cocktail.

No comments: