About Me

My photo
Kings Mountain, North Carolina, United States
"A mind lively and at ease" is a blog by a first-generation Russian-Ukrainian immigrant Maria K. (Maria Igorevna Kuroshchepova). An engineer by education, an analyst by trade, as well as a writer, photographer, artist and amateur model, Maria brings her talent for weaving an engaging narrative to stories of life, fashion and style advice, book and movie reviews, and common-sense and to-the-point essays on politics and economy.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Addendum to Denis Leary's "Why we suck"

I love Denis. And I love that book. It's irreverent, hysterically funny and true - just the way I like my non-fiction. While, unlike Denis, I don't think we suck all the time, sometimes - boy, do we ever!

I did a recycling run today. We don't have a service that picks up our recyclables, but there is a recycling center 15 minutes away. So, I pull up and start unloading. Two more people pull up - fairly fit middle-aged guys. I am in my Ukrainian crochet sweater, so they are clearly enjoying the view. I am hauling my triple-B's (that's Big Blue Bins I use for recyclables and not what you are thinking - get your mind out of the gutter!). They smile, I smile, we got a bit of a competition going on in terms of who unloads faster.

Then it happens. A woman pulls up next to the mixed paper bins. Throws in a small box of paper. Gets into her car. Drives 20 feet to the next bin to throw away a handful of glass bottles. Gets into her car. Drives another 15 feet to the plastics bin to throw away a dew plastic bottles. She is not old. She moves fairly briskly. Why she can't walk 20-30 feet from bin to bin is unclear. She drives off.

The middle-aged guys and I exchange glances and shrug. I have visions dancing in my head of people driving around a parking lot for 20 minutes in order to snag a spot next to the store entrance... People ordering double burger with fries and a Diet Coke who clearly do not need to be eating stuff like that... People who watch the channel they don't like because they wouldn't get up to look for the remote... People who drive from one store to another to cover the distance of one eighth of a mile... Sometimes... we really do suck.

No comments: