About Me

My photo
Kings Mountain, North Carolina, United States
"A mind lively and at ease" is a blog by a first-generation Russian-Ukrainian immigrant Maria K. (Maria Igorevna Kuroshchepova). An engineer by education, an analyst by trade, as well as a writer, photographer, artist and amateur model, Maria brings her talent for weaving an engaging narrative to stories of life, fashion and style advice, book and movie reviews, and common-sense and to-the-point essays on politics and economy.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Look book - pretty in purple

I love bright colors and pretty patterns. But when it comes to clothes, I have to be careful with them. Being as short as I am carries with it an inherent risk of disappearing behind overly flamboyant clothes. That said, I also don't want to look like the 21st century version of Jane Eyre: all black and gray and only a small pearl brooch for decoration, thank you.

This dress from Coldwater Creek outlet section satisfies my requirements perfectly. The color is a beautiful sophisticated purple that changes slightly in different kinds of light. The overall look is monochromatic, but not flat, because of the fitted silhouette, clever seaming and the twirly-girly skirt.



I wore this dress to the office with patterned black tights and black high-heeled Oxfords. I threw in a big starburst brooch with purple crystals for a bit of sparkle. It would work equally well with boots and a jacket for a more casual look, or with the smaller pumps, fishnets and pretty earrings for whatever you have going on after five.



Considering I got it from the Coldwater Creek outlet, and there was only a limited number of sizes left, they might not be there anymore. But, I have seen some very similar dresses at North Style available in different colors and slightly different cut. North Style is a good seller known for its quality and service, so I would definitely recommend it. This particular style is almost universally flattering and can be worn many different ways.

No comments: