About Me

My photo
Kings Mountain, North Carolina, United States
"A mind lively and at ease" is a blog by a first-generation Russian-Ukrainian immigrant Maria K. (Maria Igorevna Kuroshchepova). An engineer by education, an analyst by trade, as well as a writer, photographer, artist and amateur model, Maria brings her talent for weaving an engaging narrative to stories of life, fashion and style advice, book and movie reviews, and common-sense and to-the-point essays on politics and economy.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Look book - retro with a twist

The dress featured in this post did appear before in my post on vintage wear. It was given to me by an elderly friend who was cleaning out her closet. She was quite a stylish lady in her day and had some amazing custom-made pieces from the 1950's she let me have. In the vintage wear post I wore it in a more conventional way with sheer hose and strappy two-tone shoes. The dress is so comfortable, however, it would be a shame not to wear it more often. So, here we have a more modern combination.

It is my firm belief that one's outerwear must work with the rest of the outfit, even if you cast it off once indoors. So, I picked the little black jacket I bought at La Redoute at the Les Halles metro station mall in Paris four years ago. The jacket itself is one of those classic core wardrobe pieces you can wear with anything during most of the year. It is fantastically light, washable and layers easily. The buttons can be done several different ways, depending on the weather and your mood. The collar can also be worn up or down.

The weather was chilly enough to warrant boots but not heavy tights. I opted for black fishnets and my black slouchy boots to avoid "office matron" stodginess and keep things interesting.



The slick pony tail with no bangs and no wispy strands was a nod to the classic style of the dress, while the big dangly earrings allowed for a bit of playfulness.

No comments: