About Me

My photo
Kings Mountain, North Carolina, United States
"A mind lively and at ease" is a blog by a first-generation Russian-Ukrainian immigrant Maria K. (Maria Igorevna Kuroshchepova). An engineer by education, an analyst by trade, as well as a writer, photographer, artist and amateur model, Maria brings her talent for weaving an engaging narrative to stories of life, fashion and style advice, book and movie reviews, and common-sense and to-the-point essays on politics and economy.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

An open letter to Susan G. Komen Foundation

Dear Susan G. Komen Foundation,

"Kindness rocks". "Everyone deserves a lifetime." Recognize these words? These are the lines from your 3-Day For the Cure t-shirts. I have been your proud supporter for ten years, donated thousands (that's right, thousands) of dollars, and participated in fund-raisers and events, including the 60-mile walk.

No more. Never in my life would it have occurred to me that, apparently, kindness only rocks if it is applied to people, whose political and religious views you agree with. And when you say "everyone deserves a lifetime" you mean "everyone whose behavior is approved by radical conservatives and religious zealots".

Your decision to sever your partnership with Planned Parenthood is shocking and grievous to me. And please, spare me the "it wasn't politics" line. Of all the times this should happen, right when Planned Parenthood came under fire from the GOP? And right after you appointed two prominent pro-lifers as your executives? Spare me. And spare the rest of the audience - how stupid do you think we are?

What were you thinking? Did you think people were just going to let this slide? Just grin and bear it? Did you think about women receiving benefits from Planned Parenthood? In your opinion, do they not deserve a lifetime? Do they not deserve that "rocking" kindness?

Pink is no longer your color - I suggest you switch to dirt. You have no right to speak for women, because you had just betrayed millions of them and then lied about your motives for it. You may not speak for me.

I really wish there was a way for me to ask for my money back. Because I donated it to an organization that protected and supported ALL women, regardless of their political and religious views. You are no longer that organization.

I cannot get back the money I have already donated, but I will not be applying for matching gifts, and I will not donate anymore. What I was planning to send to you is going straight to Planned Parenthood, to hopefully help them close some of the gap.

Cordially,

Maria I. Kuroshchepova

No comments: