About Me

My photo
Kings Mountain, North Carolina, United States
"A mind lively and at ease" is a blog by a first-generation Russian-Ukrainian immigrant Maria K. (Maria Igorevna Kuroshchepova). An engineer by education, an analyst by trade, as well as a writer, photographer, artist and amateur model, Maria brings her talent for weaving an engaging narrative to stories of life, fashion and style advice, book and movie reviews, and common-sense and to-the-point essays on politics and economy.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Today... I have very smart friends

The post below was shared earlier today by my friend, business adviser and proof reader Lois Hammond, DBA. Read and ponder, folks.

==================================================

pos·i·tive

Adjective

Consisting in or characterized by the presence or possession of features or qualities rather than their absence.

Noun

A good, affirmative, or constructive quality or attribute: "translate your weakness into positives".

Synonyms

certain - sure - absolute - affirmative

--------------------------------------------------

neg·a·tive

Adjective

Consisting in or characterized by the absence rather than the presence of distinguishing features.

Noun A word or statement that expresses denial, disagreement, or refusal: "she replied in the negative".

Exclamation No (usually used in a military context): "“Any snags, Captain?” “Negative, she's running like clockwork.”".

Verb

Reject; refuse to accept; veto: "the bill was negatived by 130 votes to 129".

Synonyms

adjective. minus - negatory - privative

noun. negation - denial - disavowal - refusal - no

verb. negate - refuse - repudiate - deny - reject - disallow

--------------------------------------------------

Maybe this is only the difference between me and other FBook residents or maybe this is a way to divide the world into two camps; I don't know. Please let me explain this as if it was only between the two of us:

If our only choices are pink and blue, it seems obvious that someone is going to prefer blue while my favorite is pink. I'm not going to tell you that you are stupid because you choose blue; I'll just be happy with my pink and let you be happy with your blue. I don't have the choice that you have but I would never attack you or speak in ridiculing, sarcastic, hurtful, negative words about you!

Instead, I'd prefer to praise pink as a choice and explain why I love it so much and be positive about pink and my choice. I don't want to call you ignorant, uneducated or prejudiced because blue is your favorite. I agree that blue is nice but just not my number one choice. I won't come to your house at night with my gun or club. I won't encourage my children to bully your children at school and I hope you will behave the same way. I will not understand if you attack, criticize and belittle my choice when you could spend your time and energy telling me how great blue is.

Instead you choose to criticize and vilify pink. I want to let you be happy with your choice, especially because I know people don't change their opinions over this, especially because of the use of negative actions. If I must, I might say I agree with you if you threaten me, but in my heart I will always prefer pink. I want to be positive about pink. Why can't you be positive about blue instead of attacking pink? Can't we both speak positively about our own choice rather than speak negatively about someone else's choice?

No comments: