About Me

My photo
Kings Mountain, North Carolina, United States
"A mind lively and at ease" is a blog by a first-generation Russian-Ukrainian immigrant Maria K. (Maria Igorevna Kuroshchepova). An engineer by education, an analyst by trade, as well as a writer, photographer, artist and amateur model, Maria brings her talent for weaving an engaging narrative to stories of life, fashion and style advice, book and movie reviews, and common-sense and to-the-point essays on politics and economy.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Writer interview - Sessha Batto

Please be advised, Sessha Batto's writing is not for everyone. If you can't take alternative cultural traditions, highly atypical sexual practices, a gamut of emotions ranging from passionate hatred to raging desire within the span of a couple of pages, strange forms of violence, and a very different code of honor - don't even go there. You'll just end up being one of those people who leave a one-star review on Amazon citing the reason of "it wasn't my kind of thing". (Side note: I hate those kinds of reviews - if you don't know by now what books are your kind of thing, you should be punishing yourself, not the writer.) If, however, you are open to anything get a full set of Sessha's work and have the best exotic and erotic feast of your life.

Painstaking research, amazing detail, incredible language, characters that are supremely alive, fascinating story lines interwoven into one stunning pattern - it's all there and absolutely worth it.

I had a chance to sit down (virtually) with Sessha and take a peek into the fascinating workings of her talented mind.

=============================

What is your favorite virtue? Compassion (yes, it's a virtue, I looked it up)

Your favorite qualities in a man? A sense of humor and a willingness to be flexible - not not THAT kind of flexible (although it doesn't hurt) mentally flexible.

Your favorite qualities in a woman? A sense of humor and a good sense of self

Your chief trait? sheer bloody-mindedness (or extreme OCD - it amounts to the same thing)

What do you appreciate the most about your friends? The fact that they put up with me

Your main fault? I'm incredibly impatient - I want to do everything right now!

Your idea of misery? Being blind, I think it would drive me mad very quickly.

Your idea of happiness? A cup of jasmine tea and a good book to curl up with.

If you weren't yourself, who would you want to be? (Can be a person, an animal, a plant, anything). A house cat - sleep 20 hours a day, get skritches - a good life.

Where would you like to live? (Can be a real place or imaginary) Kyoto, Japan.

Your favorite fictional heroes? Favorites . . . that is VERY tough, I fall in love with so many characters. Strong men who aren't afraid to be gentle are my literary kryptonite.

Your favorite real-life heroes? My husband - after all, he puts up with me! That is damn heroic.

Your favorite food and drink? Drink - jasmine tea. Food is tougher, mushrooms and potatoes are in a dead heat.

A talent you wish you had? I'm happy with the talents I do have (although I wouldn't refuse teleportation if offered!) what I want most is the ability to make the most of the talents I do have.

Your present state of mind? My present state of mind is overwhelmed - which is pretty common, actually - there is always so much to do and so little time to do it in.

Your personal motto? The trick is not minding that it hurts.

=============================

Find Sessha Batto's books here:

- Amazon.com

- Amazon UK

2 comments:

Sessha Batto said...

Thank you so much for the interview, Maria! It is lovely to be here in such amazing company.

hiruki-demon said...

Reading this makes me all the more anxious to meet you in person, darling! x33 You seem to have a gift for making me smile, Sessha.