About Me

My photo
Kings Mountain, North Carolina, United States
"A mind lively and at ease" is a blog by a first-generation Russian-Ukrainian immigrant Maria K. (Maria Igorevna Kuroshchepova). An engineer by education, an analyst by trade, as well as a writer, photographer, artist and amateur model, Maria brings her talent for weaving an engaging narrative to stories of life, fashion and style advice, book and movie reviews, and common-sense and to-the-point essays on politics and economy.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Writer interview - Shari Rood

A couple of months ago, writer Shari Rood added a new book to her formidable body of work - The Secret Lives of the Harvested. We sat down with Shari to celebrate the new release and get her thoughts on heroes, human qualities, and other life's necessities.

====================================

What is your favorite virtue? Honesty.

Your favorite qualities in a man. Honesty. I also appreciate sensitivity and humor.

Your favorite qualities in a woman. I would have to say being laid back. Some women are so hectic. I like friends who know how to just sit down, have a drink and chat.

Your chief characteristic. Humility. Just kidding. I’m not sure, is being creative a characteristic?

What do you appreciate the most about your friends? I love it when I can talk about writing with a friend. I enjoy bouncing ideas back and forth and getting inspired by their work. It helps me to work harder.

Your main fault. Probably it is the lack of judgment to do what I know is best for me, before I get into situations that require some patience and a degree of difficulty to get out of. One example is moving to the other side of the world because my husband wanted to do that. I know I’ll look back on the amazing experiences but I don’t know if I would do it over again. Homesickness is a real thing…

Your favorite occupation. Writing. I also love shop keeping. I’ve owned three different shops over the years and I loved them. I want to start another one as soon as I can afford to do it.

Your idea of happiness. Being respected for what you do. Being surrounded by people who care about you. Loving what you do for a living.

Your idea of misery. I’m not sure how to answer that because the world is filled with misery and I have my share of it in myself as well. It’s a part of the human condition.

If not yourself, who would you be? Charles Dickens

Your favorite heroes in fiction. Pip from Great Expectations. Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, Delia from Through the Cane Fields. There are so many, I can’t think of them all.

Your favorite heroes in real life. Countless amazing writers. People who suffer from anxiety and depression but tough it out anyway. People who help others. People who have compassion.

Your favorite food and drink. Ginger ale with extra ice and a slice of lemon. Mexican food is great in fact, all food is great. I never met a sandwich I didn’t like.

What is your present state of mind? Homesick.

Your personal motto. To the victor go the spoils. I have no idea why that came to mind. I’ve never really thought I had a personal motto. Now I do.

====================================

For more about Shari and her books, visit her Facebook page or her Amazon spotlight.

No comments: